Featured Planning TipSet 'realistic' goals and objectives
Goals and objectives can and should guide action. A realistic goal takes into account a situation as it actually is not an idealized view. One of the 9 Principals of War is to set clearly defined, decisive, and attainable objectives.
Goals and objectives should be:
- Acceptable - Is the objective acceptable to managers and KEY stakeholders?
- Flexible - Is the objective adaptable to unforeseen changes in the firmís environment?
- Measurable - Does the objective clearly state what will be achieved and when it will be achieved?
- Achievable - Is the objective achievable? Can it be reached?
- Motivating - Is the objectiveís target high enough to challenge, yet realistic and achievable?
- Suitable - Does the goal/objective fit with the mission statement/purpose and with other important long-term objectives?
- Understandable - Will managers at all levels understand what senior managers are trying to accomplish and achieve by setting the specific long-term objective?
A memory aid for the seven characteristics of well-defined goals and objectives is AFMAMSU
Traditional goal-setting wisdom prescribes that a good short-run goal must be a) written, b) challenging, c) believable, d) specific, e) measureable, and f) have a specific deadline.
Direct every military operation towards a clearly defined, decisive, and attainable objective.
various sources including: